UPDATE April 8, 2009: Due to many recent time restrictions, I have not been able to update this program. I am still here and still alive. Expect some developments in the next coming months. I will be collaborating with several new developers to improve the code overall and bring it to new operating systems and control panel platforms. Thanks for continuing to support my ELS script and feedback is always welcome. In addition, if you would like to contribute any fixes or improvements or otherwise help in the development of ELS, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELS stands for Easy Linux Security. ELS was created by the Server Monkeys Founder, Richard Gannon. ELS takes many of the tasks performed by our Administrators and puts it into an easy to use program for anyone to use. It is released under the GNU/GPL so it is free to use.
This program is always being improved with new features and bugfixes, so be sure to keep it up to date. If you found a bug or would like an improvement, please let us know! This program was made and is maintained in Rich's free time (which isn't often anymore). If you really like this program, donations are more than welcome! The only donation isn't a monetary donation. If you have experience with coding in Linux Shell or other languages, anything you can add to improve this program is very welcome.
Supported Operating Systems
What ELS Does
- Red Hat Linux 9
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, 4
- Fedora Core 1, 2, 3, 4
- CentOS 3, 4
- Install RKHunter
- Install RKHunter Cronjob which emails a user-set email address nightly
- Install/update APF
- Add SM/TP monitoring IPs (view information on these in Orbit)
- Install/update BFD
- Install CHKROOTKIT
- Install CHKROOTKIT Cronjob which emails a user-set email address nightly
- Disable Telnet
- Force SSH Protocol 2
- Secure /tmp
- Secure /var/tmp
- Secure /dev/shm
- Install/update Zend Optimizer
- Install/update eAccelerator
- MySQL 4.0 and 4.1 Configuration Optimization (cPanel only)
- Upgrade MySQL to 4.1 (cPanel only)
- Tweak WHM Settings for security and stability
- Configure RNDC if not already done (cPanel only)
- Change SSH port (also configure APF as necessary)
- Add wheel user and disable direct root login over SSH
- Optimize MySQL tables
- Install/update Libsafe
- Install/update ImageMagick (from latest source)
- Uninstall LAuS
- Harden sysctl.conf
- Install Chirpy's Free Exim Dictionary Attack ACL
- And more!
To install ELS, simply run the following command as root:
wget --output-document=installer.sh http://servermonkeys.com/projects/els/installer.sh; chmod +x installer.sh; sh installer.sh
Please remember that ELS is an open source project which is supported by users like you. If you used and like ELS, we really appreciate any and all donations. All donations go towards the maintaining and development of ELS and keeping it an open source (free) program to use.